Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This blog is something I've created for friends, family, and anyone who has a passion for food. In this blog you'll find new healthy recipes, health and nutrition articles, and helpful exercises. I hope you enjoy this blog and what it has to offer.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Almond Milk & Granola

Almond Milk & Granola

My daily breakfast consist of oatmeal topped with strawberries and ground flax seed. Wanting to mix up my breakfast routine and try something different I decided to make almond milk and granola. Sundays are my day to prepare and make my meals for the week, well at least through Thursday. I made the almond milk and granola yesterday and it turned out great! I had some for breakfast this morning and it filled me up.

Here are the recipes I used:

Almond Milk
2 cups almonds (soaked)
2 medjool dates (pitted)
1 tsp vanila or vanilla bean
4 cups water

Soaking Almonds- soak the almonds over night in an open glass container.

Blend all ingredients together. Once blended strain the almond milk. To strain the almond milk I used a mesh strainer. I think next time I’ll use a mesh bag.

For the next time I’d like to experiment by using a real vanilla bean pealed and add an additional medjool date for extra sweetness.

Granola

4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
4 pitted medjool dates
½ cup jumbo or organic raisins
½ cup roasted almonds
½ cup raw walnuts
¼ cup virgin coconut oil
½ cup honey
1½ teaspoons cinnamon

Measure out and place raisins, dates, almonds and walnuts in food processor. Place oats in a large mixing bowl, add cinnamon. Once fruit and nuts have been processed to desired consistency add to oats and cinnamon. Thoroughly stir and combine ingredients. Mix together/combine honey and coconut oil until smooth consistency. Pour honey and coconut oil mixture into oats, fruit and nuts. Stir all ingredients, you may have to use your hands to combine all ingredients.

You can of course mix up this recipe by adding more raisins, nuts, or substituting fruit and nuts. When using the food processor make sure to use the S blade.

What I made turned out great but for the next time I think I’d like to add more fruit and nuts. I like my granola a little chunkier.

I hope you enjoy these recipes!

Preheat oven to 325°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Pour out onto the baking sheet and put in the oven for 20 minutes. Stir, then set the time for another 10 minutes and check it. Bake for up to 30- 40 minutes total. You want it to be golden brown but not too crispy.

Add the raisins and mix well. Once it’s completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

You can eat this with milk, or mix it with yogurt and fresh fruit to add more fruit and protein to your morning breakfast. Eat with soy milk or almond milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment